Monday 4 November 2013

Accomplishing Something

The last few days have not been easy. Over a week ago my husband had what he thought was a minor muscle pull in his back. He teaches security every other week, and wouldn't you know it last week was his teaching week. He couldn't rest his back much and by Saturday he basically couldn't get out of bed.

I wanted to take him to the hospital on Sunday, but he declined saying he thought he was getting better. By this morning he was just as bad if not a little worse so he finally let me take him to the hospital. Between dropping him off, picking him up, waiting for him to get a prescription filled my day was pretty much shot. The one thing I was thankful for was that the children could go forward with their school work because I had filled out their assignment books.

By tonight I was feeling a little depressed. I just feel like I haven't been able to accomplish much of anything since Saturday morning. It's been overcast where we live which doesn't help one to feel upbeat. Instead of making supper I ended up playing computer games in a futile attempt to escape reality. However, when you have eight children there isn't much room for escape. So we ended up with a menu change which may have involved Kraft Dinner. Not the greatest choice, but sometimes you have to cut yourself some slack.

So I put on some upbeat instrumental music, got my children to tidy up and made supper. It's funny how accomplishing something - anything - can lift your spirits. 

I was also able to fix up this collage frame for my bathroom. I have one bathroom that is decorated with Norman Rockwell pictures. About two months ago I bought a book of Norman Rockwell art at a used book store with the intention of cutting it up to use in decorating. I will admit to feeling a little (okay a lot) guilty about cutting up a book, but I'll deal with it because I like the end result.


When you're feeling down and have things you have to do, what do you do to get yourself moving?



6 comments:

  1. My college roomie always used to play upbeat banjo music to get her revved to clean. I put my kids' favourite songs on when they need motivation to clean as well. There's just something about music!

    And by the way, I love the Norman Rockwell pictures and frames. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is something about music - I use it to calm the children when they're all over the place, help my son focus on his schoolwork and get me going with lifted spirits.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jennifer. Thanks for popping in to At the Lake. I had to come over and check out your blog. Wow, 8 children. That keeps you busy. I am sure you have some interesting methodologies for maintaining your sanity. I love Norman Rockwell's work. Great job on the collage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read what I WANT to read - not want I HAVE to read! Or go for a walk or just hang out with my girls (although that is sometimes more stressful than stress busting!) Sometimes I tackle some work that I may have been putting off to give me a sense of achievement - might as well make good use of my feeling listless! I also surf through my pinterest boards where I have lots of motivational quotes & inspiring photos to make me feel better inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good blog - and yes it can be hard to find an "escape" when you have noisy kids - I know the feeling :). I love to curl up with a GOOD book and "escape" into another time period for a bit. So grateful that I have children who help so much around the house because when you're sick and having to go to work - it doesn't leave much time to do anything else. Glad this part of our life will soon be coming to an end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Motivation is a tough one. Especially when it is dreary outside, you have people in your family who are sick, it just makes you tired and restless at the same time. That is a good time to take a bubble bath with scented candles and turn on your fav music on the ipod and pretend you are at a spa in a far off land!

    ReplyDelete