Tuesday, 14 January 2014

A Simple Pouch

Today I decided to sew something for myself. Since I don't have a dedicated sewing space I can't leave my sewing machine and serger set up. I keep them on a shelf until I need them and their respective cords in a basket along with my hot glue gun. The problem is all the cords get tangled and hang out of the basket in a messy fashion. I decided to fix that and took the first step today.
 
I made a pouch for my glue gun and I'm going to do the same for the serger and sewing machine cords sometime this week. It was a simple project that I'm going to share because these pouches could be used for so many different organizing needs.
 
I didn't want ties for closing the pouch because they would look messy. Neither did I want a closure that I would need to open and close - I know - lazy but since I was doing this for myself I decided to go with exactly what I wanted. I used elastic to loosely keep the opening closed. It's wide enough to put the glue gun in and out and tight enough to hold it all in.
 
First I loosely measured my glue gun and decided I needed a pouch that was approximately nine inches square. So my fabric was about ten by twenty inches to account for seam allowances. I folded down one long edge and pressed it. Then I folded it down again a little more than the width of my fabric and sewed the casing for the fabric.
 



 
Figuring out the size of elastic I needed took a bit of trial and error, but I finally decided on ten inches which was about half the width. I threaded the elastic through until it was even with the raw edge and sewed that edge down. I finished threading the elastic through and sewed it down on the other side.
 







I wanted the seams to look nice, but I didn't want to drag my serger out for such a small project, so I went with French seams for the side and bottom. If you don't know what a French seam is they are very simple. First put your fabric wrong sides together and sew a small seam. Turn your fabric inside out so that the right sides are facing and sew a slightly larger seam so that the first one is totally encased. When you are finished you will have a beautiful finished seam with no raw edges showing on either side.


And there you have it - a simple pouch that my glue gun fits in with no cords hanging out. I used blue fabric because my glue gun is blue. I'm colour coding my pouches so I'll know what I'm grabbing - just trying to keep my life simple.



Do you have a dedicated area for sewing/crafts, or do you have to take everything out when you want to sew or craft?

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. it is my dream someday to have an area where I can leave my sewing machine out. I would use it so much more if I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dream house has a room just for sewing and crafting. :)

      Delete
  2. Great idea and I did not know what french seams are :) Good to know ;) Do you use them often?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not often, but they're nice to know about for the odd time I feel they are appropriate (or I'm too lazy to get out my serger).

      Delete
  3. Hey Jennifer! I'm Toni and I blog over at www.blessedinalabama.com. We have been grouped together for the SITS Girl Tribe Building along with several other ladies. I tried to create a forum for us to chat as a group over at SITS Girls but couldn't ever get it to work. If no one else has already created us a discussion page we could use this FB group if everyone is on board --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/1396836790573227/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I'm from your SITS tribe. I'm not much of a sewer, but I have what my husband calls the "crap" room. It has every project I have to get to on my to-do list in it. So I feel your pain about keeping stuff out. And I love your da Vinci quote. I need to live by that one more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom taught us simple is always better.

      Delete
  5. I'm not much into sewing but had the idea just last week to have my girls learn how to do a simple stitch. It will come in handy, I'm sure.
    Neat idea. Staying organized always helps me to see my way around what I have to do a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a good beginner project.

      Delete
  6. I wish I could sew! Love the bag. Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer! Stopping by for our SITS tribe! What a cute pouch! I'm trying to get back into sewing, but as usual, never seem to finish a project. I've recently grown addicted to sewing fabric yo-yos, but haven't figured out what I want to make from them! I look forward to connecting with you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had an idea to sew a bunch of yo-yos and use them like a border around my kitchen.

      Delete