Saturday 4 January 2014

Library Time 16

Early in December one of the bloggers I follow - The Humbled Homemaker - did a post on planning her reading for 2014. That inspired me to do the same. Last year I bought quite a few ebooks. I wrote out a list of what I wanted to read this year and came up with 53 titles! Some are quite short and could be read in an hour, a few are several hundred pages, some are devotional and are meant to be read one chapter at a time and not all in one sitting. The topics range from beauty to budgeting to health to special occasions to homemaking to marriage to parenting. I'll probably review some from time to time and keep you updated on my progress through them.

Emily Fox-Seton Being "The Making of a Marchioness" and "The Methods of Lady Walderhurst"So what have I been reading in between finishing up gifts. I went back to my old standby Philip Oppenheim. This time I read The Double Four. Each chapter was actually it's own stand-alone adventure like the way Sherlock Holmes is written. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I also read Emily Foxe-Sexton Being "The Making of a Marchioness" and "The Methods of Lady Walderhurst". This was a great book. Emily Foxe-Sexton is a poor but genteel lady in her mid-30s and has given up hope of marriage. Then a marquis asks her to marry him and her life is turned upside dow n. After her marriage danger enters her life and threatens to kill (literally) all of her dreams. This is a wonderful feel-good book and even better you can get it free for your Kindle.


15-year-old daughter - The Captive of Raven Castle by Jessica Greyson

13-year-old son - Secret Weapons: Technology, Science and the Race to Win World War II by Brian Ford

11-year-old son - Eyewitness World War I by DK Publishers. If you have never read any of the "Eyewitness" books you are missing out on a treat. These are excellent books loaded with information and beautiful illustrations.

9-year-old daughter - Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink. Caddie is a young girl growing up in the wilds of 1860s Wisconsin, and to the despair of her very ladylike mother is a tomboy. The adventures are based on the life of the author's grandmother.

8-year-old daughter - Starlight and Candles by Fran Manushkin

5-year-old son - Curious George ☺ Always a favourite here.

2-year-old son - He recently received a small Richard Scarry pop-up book. We really like Richard Scarry. There is always a lot going on in the pictures making for fun discussions with your little one.

Back to school next week so less reading time, but knowing our family we'll still manage. What have read during the holidays?









Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Yeah - I just downloaded the book you recommended from Kindle for free ;) I have many on my Kindle that I aim on reading this spring in the afternoons.
    We love Richard Scarry, too :)
    Ethan must show me his book next time we Skype :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many good free books on Kindle. "Jungle Deals and Steals" sends me an email every day with free books listed.

    ReplyDelete