Tuesday 13 May 2014

Life Changes

Having just gone through Mother's Day I've done a lot of reflecting on how my life has changed from where it was twenty years ago.
 
When I was single and oh, so sad about it, my mom used to say that in ten years I wouldn't recognize my life. I didn't really believe her, but two decades later I can say how right she was. I've now been married sixteen years and have eight children with another one in heaven.
 
When I was first married I was so thrilled to finally have a husband to care for. Shortly after we found out we were having a baby and I could hardly wait to meet this little one. Then I could hardly wait to teach her so many things and start homeschooling her. Now she only has one more year of high school left. She has two great blogs and is writing some fantastic books. How did this happen?
 
Then I look at my oldest son. He was our millennium baby. ☺ I'll let you in on a little secret. I did NOT want a son. I never had a brother and just didn't think I could handle a boy. I'm so glad God saw things differently. Of course, I fell in love with Noah first of all as my baby before he was born and as a son the minute he was handed to me. Now I have five sons and love every minute of them. Boys are different, but it's a good different. That first little boy is now taller than me and starting high school next year. He's a whiz at designing things with Legos, and you can ask him almost anything about World War II, and he'll know the answer.
 
I went on to have another son, two daughters and then three more boys. We call the three youngest "The Three Musketeers". I love to watch the developing relationship between the two oldest of this set (they're bonding over Legos - what else?) and the two youngest. Every morning my baby wakes my toddler up by hugging him.
 
My two youngest daughters are best friends. You know the kind - fighting one minute and inseparable the next. My middle daughter is becoming quite the baker, and my youngest daughter is great with playing with the baby. I love to watch him hold out his arms to her. He's about half her weight, but she carries him around and they have a blast together.
 
This year my middle daughter made a cake for me for Mother's Day all by herself start to finish. My children chipped in with my husband to buy me a silver heart ring from Tiffany's. Time is flying by. I look forward to seeing what the next ten years will look like. I've learned to cherish the moments with my little ones instead of always looking forward to the next step. They grow up so fast, and I want to hold on to these precious times of hugs, kisses, cuddles, silly laughs and the ease of kissing hurts better. I know the aches my children will face as they grow up won't be so easily comforted with just a kiss from Mommy.
 
And in case you need any more convincing at how fast time goes by here are two pictures only three years apart. The first picture is Mother's Day 2011 and the second is this Mother's Day.
 
 
 
 

How has your life changed in the last ten years (or three)?

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Julie Geoffrion13 May 2014 at 21:44

    WOW they have grown! What are you feeding them :) And look at little baby Ethan ;) so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly shows where all that food grows that I feed them and feed them and feed them. He was/is a doll. I was looking at some of his baby pictures yesterday. He cried a lot but he sure was cute.

    ReplyDelete